(THIS ARTICLE IS COURTESY OF THE BRAZIL 247 NEWS AGENCY)
LULA QUALIFIES AS A FARCE PROCESS OF ATIBAIA
“The first case I was victim to was a farce, a lie of the Public Prosecutor’s Office with a power point. The second is another scam and I’m paying that price. I will pay because I am a man who believes in God, I believe in Justice and one day the truth will prevail, “said Lula, who was accompanied by his lawyer Cristiano Zanin Martins
NOVEMBER 15, 2018 AT 07:25 // SIGN UP FOR TV 247
SAO PAULO (Reuters) – Former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva paid a tense statement to substitute Gabriela Hardt judge in the process for the site Atibaia that caught clashes with the magistrate at times and classified as “farce” the prosecution of Federal Public Prosecutor’s Office that he would have received bribes in the form of renovations carried out on the property.
In more than two hours of testimony, Lula declared himself “uncomfortable” and showed discomfort all the time. He became angry with representatives of MPF and, more than once, the judge, who replaced Sérgio Moro in Lava Jato’s lawsuits in Curitiba, asked the former president to change his tone.
This happened at the beginning of the testimony, when Lula asked the judge of what was being charged and, after explaining that the suit was about the benefits obtained by the reform, the lawyer asked: “Doctor, I just wanted to ask my clarification, because I am willing to answer any and all questions: do I own the site or not? “
The judge, who took over the proceedings after Moro accepted to be Justice Minister-elect Jair Bolsonaro, was tough on the answer.
“That is you who have to answer, not me, and I am not being questioned at this moment,” he countered.
“Mr. President, this is an interrogation and if you start with that tone with me, we will have a problem. So let’s start again, I’m the judge of the case, I’m going to ask the questions that I need to have the case clarified, so I can sentence you, or some colleague may sentence you … I will not answer interrogation or questioning here, of course? “
Clearly irritated, Lula, who left the Federal Police headquarters in Curitiba for the first time this Wednesday since being arrested in April, criticized the Public Prosecutor’s Office, referring more than once to the power point presentation made by the coordinator of the task force of Lava Jato, prosecutor for the Deltan Dallagnol Republic, who pointed to the former president as head of a criminal organization that operated at Petrobras.
“The first case I was victim to was a farce, a lie of the Public Prosecutor’s Office with a power point. The second is another scam and I’m paying that price. I will pay because I am a man who believes in God, I believe in Justice and one day the truth will prevail, “he said.
In another moment of tension, Lula said that if he were president of the PT at the time of the power point presentation, he would ask that all party affiliates sue the MP.
“I’m getting tired, I do not know how far it’s going and what’s going to happen. It’s a lie-behind-a-lie process … and it all started with the power point, if the power point had been denied in the act it was made, “Lula said.
“I’ll tell you something, Proctor, that I could not tell. When I saw the power point, I told the PT, if I were the president of the PT, I would ask all PT affiliates in Brazil to file a lawsuit against the Public Prosecutor’s Office to prove it. “
Gabriela Hardt then interrupted Lula and stated that he was trying to intimidate the prosecution.
“You’re intimidating the charge like that. Please, let’s change the tone, “said the judge. “You are intimidating, instigating. You are intimidating, I will not allow it, “said the magistrate. Lula denied that he was trying to intimidate prosecutors.
In the statement, Lula, who is accused of corruption and money laundering in the case for allegedly receiving the reforms as an undue advantage paid by Odebrecht, OAS and cattle rancher José Carlos Bumlai, also said he did not believe the version given by Bumlai and others involved that the former First Lady Marisa Letícia Lula da Silva, already deceased, has requested the reform on the site.
“I have much doubt if Dona Marisa asked to make the reform, much doubt. Since she’s not here to explain herself, I’m left with my doubt, “Lula said. “Now it was easy to name the name of Dona Marisa because she died.”
The former president said that Dona Marisa had no relations with the contractors and that the site did not belong to her and therefore there was no reason for her to request the reform.
Lula also said that he was not aware of the renovation works carried out on the Atibaia site and stated, more than once, that the MPF was acknowledging that the property did not belong to him. Also more than once, Gabriela Hardt said that the accusation was not that the PT is the owner of the site.
“Let’s define that? See, I’ve never talked to anyone about the works on the site of Atibaia because I wanted to prove that the site was not mine. And today, here, in this rostrum, you gave me the testimony: the place is not your Lula’s, “he said.
“First, no entrepreneur said the works were linked to me. Second, you give me a testimony today that the site is not mine. I came here thinking you were going to demoralize me, show me a scripture, which I paid for, which I received, but you did not do any of it. “
In a statement, Lula’s defense said that he “countered point-to-point with the unfounded accusations of the Public Ministry in his testimony, reinforcing that during his administration numerous measures were taken to combat corruption and control of public administration and that no act of corruption occurred at Petrobras was detected and brought to its attention. “
Lula was the last accused to testify in the process of the site. Now it will be open deadline for the parties to present their final allegations, and after that, the process will be ready for sentence.