1 dead, several ill after chemical accident at a Buffalo Wild Wings


(THIS ARTICLE IS COURTESY OF NBC NEWS)

 

Doha Madani
One person was killed and 10 other people were sickened in a chemical accident at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant Thursday in Burlington, Massachusetts, authorities said.a young boy is dressed in a costume: Hazardous materials technicians and officials at a Buffalo Wild Wings location in Burlington, Massachusetts, where an employee died after being exposed to a strong cleaning agent.© NBC Boston Hazardous materials technicians and officials at a Buffalo Wild Wings location in Burlington, Massachusetts, where an employee died after being exposed to a strong cleaning agent.A restaurant employee was rushed to a hospital after being exposed to sodium hypochlorite, a powerful cleaning agent, and died shortly thereafter, Michael Patterson, assistant chief of the Burlington Fire Department, told reporters Thursday night. The worker told firefighters who arrived on the scene that he was feeling nauseated after breathing in fumes.

“Anyone who was in the restaurant at the time and believes they may be impacted by the incident should seek medical treatment immediately,” the fire department said in a statement.

Two customers and eight other employees were treated at hospitals, Patterson said. They were believed to have not been seriously stricken, he said.

Download the NBC News app for breaking news

“What we believe happened is a worker at Buffalo Wild Wings used a cleaning agent on the floor. The cleaning agent is Super 8. The chemical definition or chemical identification is sodium hypochlorite,” Patterson said. “What sodium hypochlorite is a high concentration of chlorine.”

The building was evacuated at about 6 p.m. for a Tier 1 hazmat incident, Patterson said.

The fire department that there was no active threat to public safety and that the investigation was ongoing. It said the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration had been notified.

Buffalo Wild Wings said in a statement Thursday evening that it was referring questions to local authorities.

“We are shocked and saddened to learn of this horrific accident at our franchise-owned sports bar and are working closely with our franchisee and the authorities while they conduct an investigation,” the company said.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Zenbabytravel

London lifestyle & travels with kids and babies

David and Keng on the Road

Full-time RVing, Hiking, and Traveling

From Cave Walls

Beyond 365 Days - The Journey Continues

Sagar Samy

Media Blogger & Social Media influencer

MXCHELLEEX by Michelle Sanders

Postcards From Around The World

JOVIAL

It's all about life and it's glory. No negativity in it though it always remains in everyone's life.It is our duty to make sure that negativity doesn't stop us from living a life of King Size.

The History Interpreter - Janet Few

Presenting and Preserving the Past

travels.trails.triumphs

It might not always go according to plan. But plans are made to be broken.

Glitters and Mayhem

You mustn’t be afraid to sparkle a little brighter!

%d bloggers like this: